Sunday, August 21, 2011

A Self Guided Walking Tour of Geneva...on a Sunday

I stress that my walking adventure was on a Sunday...therefore everything was closed.  Other than a few cafes, there were no stores open, so I just window shopped (not that my shopping habits would change much once they allow me in the store...it's expensive!).  And to all those wondering if Rolex is any cheaper here, the answer is no.  It is not cheap.  It is ridiculously expensive!

Anyway, back to my story.  So this afternoon, I hopped on the bus and just decided to let my instincts decide where I would go.  The transit system (TPG) here is great.  There's no metro, but the buses and street cars get you everywhere you need to go.  And the best thing: it's very easy to figure out!  I had no trouble transferring from bus to street car to get down to the lake.  And what a lake!  The weather here continues to be scorching, with clear skies and a slight breeze.  Not necessarily the best weather for wandering around the city, but thanks to the many parks, I was able to take breaks to cool down in the shade.

I started at the jet d'eau, then headed over to the jardin anglais to see the Flower Clock.  The pier was full of tourists, so I didn't look too out of place.  I checked out some tourist shops, and had my jaw drop to the floor when I saw the prices.  Hopefully I can find a cheaper option a bit further away from the main tourist traps.  Anyone know anywhere?

From the gardens, I went into the old town and onto the campus of the University of Geneva.  I found a spot in the gardens overlooking the reformation wall and read my book for a while.  It was a very pleasant afternoon, despite the constant pestering from gypsies for money and food.

I look forward to continuing to explore Geneva this week, especially once the stores open again.  I also can't wait to check out the museums, which are free!

Here are some of the pictures I snapped while out on my walk.  I really need to start bringing my "good" camera, so sorry with the poor quality.

































No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to know what you think. Leave a line or two, or just a hello. And thanks for dropping by!