Thursday, August 25, 2011

More Things I've Noticed About La Suisse


And now to continue my list of things that are different (and as I've realized, not necessarily strange) about Switzerland.  You can check out the first 5 here.

6.  Roosters sleep in here.  There’s one that cock-a-doodle-doos at 10am every morning.  

7.  In most of the villages around me, it’s much faster to bicycle through than to drive.  And drivers here are patient with cyclists.  There’s not honking, there’s no bird flipping, and most importantly, they rarely hit the bikes.  How thoughtful.

8.  I never realized how much Canada has copied Switzerland and the rest of Europe.  Paying for shopping carts? Coop.  Store brand products? Migros.  Really cool walk all the way through tram cars? TPG.

9.  Stop signs are pretty much non-existent.  I guess this is handy when everyone drives stick.  If an intersection doesn’t have traffic lights then its usually a yield and/or a round-about.  Since I hate starting from stop and am more prone to stalling, I like the idea of no stop signs.

10. There is this wonderful yellow light before the traffic light turns from red to green.  Amazing.  Gives you the warning to get in gear and start moving.  The Swiss are so smart.

11.  Murses, as in men’s purses, are everywhere.  I know they are all the rage in Europe, but when I see one I’m still thrown off.  No matter how “manly” the guy is, I can guarantee there will be a purse on to his shoulder.

12.  Fountains.  They are everywhere.  It’s amazing.  Parched from a long walk through the Old City?  Take a drink from a fountain.  Is your dog hot after taking it for a walk in 35 degree weather?  Let it jump in the fountain.  And they are all so beautiful.  Some have intricate designs, some a basic, but all amazing.  I’m going to try to find as many as I can in Geneva.  I’ll post pictures as I find them.

2 comments:

  1. Pretty similar here, besides the murses and the fountains.

    Are you SURE that we stole those ideas? Even if it's true, I REFUSE to acknowledge! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Apparently we copied them. But I'm pretty sure Canada would say Switzerland copied them! Haha

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to know what you think. Leave a line or two, or just a hello. And thanks for dropping by!