Saturday, August 20, 2011

Let's Make a List


It’s officially been a week since I stepped on Swiss soil, so I felt it was appropriate for me to re-cap everything I have learned since I arrived.  Some are just cultural differences, the rest are just general observations of Switzerland:
  1. As lesson I learned last night: there are mosquitos in Switzerland.  Despite what I had heard before leaving, they do exist.  There aren’t nearly as many as there are in Canada, but just like at home, they always seem to find me.  
  2. Cold beverages (other than beer) are very rare.  You have the option of room temperature tap water or room temperature carbonated water.  I quickly learned that carbonated water tastes colder (how weird that sounds) than tap water, so that tends to be my go-to after spending time outside.
  3. Switzerland is hot.  I thankfully came prepared for hot weather, but I didn’t expect a week of 30°c or hotter.  It’s been amazing, don’t get me wrong, just surprising.
  4. People here can drive really well.  I think everyone should learn how to drive in Europe.  I’ve never seen so many people be able to juggle steering, shifting, smoking, and talking on their cell phone all at the same so well.  And don’t even get me started on their parking.  Blows.  My.  Mind.
  5. Despite ripping up their streetcar system 50 years ago, then re-integrating it more recently, Geneva still has a far better transit system than Toronto.  Maybe T-dot should follow suit?
I’ll continue to add to this list as time goes on.  I’m sure more things will pop-up and catch me by surprise.
And as for the jell-o dessert on Thursday, everyone seemed to enjoy it (well except for E - he detests oranges, so I don’t blame him).  It went a little too fast to take a picture, but I’ve gotten permission to post the recipe.  I made mine with orange jell-o and mandarin orange pieces, but my favourite is still a pink jell-o dessert (using raspberry jell-o and applesauce).  If you end up making it, let me know what you mix.  I’m always looking for new flavour combinations.

Pink Jell-O Dessert 
2 boxes of Red Jell-O  (or other colour Jell-O)
2 Cups Boiling Water
14 oz (~2 Cups) Apple Sauce  (or other fruit to go with colour of Jell-O)
1 package Dream Whip

Add boiling water to Jell-O powder.  Stir very, very well.
Put in Freezer or Fridge until Jell-O starts to gel*.
Meanwhile, make up Dream Whip per package directions – no vanilla required.
Once Jell-O has slightly gelled*, add fruit & blend.
Add Dream Whip & blend (if applesauce, otherwise add Dream Whip BEFORE fruit & stir in fruit).
Put in a pretty serving bowl (or not) and refrigerate until set.

*if Jell-O gels too much, run bowl in warm water for a few seconds – not too long!
Enjoy!!!

2 comments:

  1. I'd still rather have you make it for me. Hope you're having fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm having a great time. I love it here.

    And I'll make sure to make one for Christmas. :)

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to know what you think. Leave a line or two, or just a hello. And thanks for dropping by!