Saturday, June 18, 2011

Food Fridays

It's been a while, hasn't it?  I'm still alive, just don't have much to report.  My life has been work, work, see a friend, work, work, work.  Fun, eh?

But when I do have some free time I've been using it to practice my cooking.  When I go to Switzerland I'll be cooking for a family of 5 (the 6th will be away at University), and I feel like I should probably make them something more than peanut butter sandwiches and Kraft Dinner every day.  So I've decided to add a new theme to my blog, Food Fridays!  I'll share my cooking achievements, and failures.  Feel free to recommend some recipes!

So for this week, I attempted to make grilled Portobello mushrooms and asparagus.  I think they came out quite well:






I'm not much of a plater, so please ignore how boring it looks.  

The mushrooms were very easy to make.  I actually got the idea from my uncle after countless holiday dinners.  He had the brilliant idea of adding grilled Portobello mushrooms to Calabrese salads.  Delicious!  He normally makes cracked peppercorn mushrooms, but I just did a simple onion and garlic marinade.  

The asparagus were even simpler.  All I did was brush them with olive oil, salt and pepper.  

The mushrooms will be part of a brie and mushroom wrap that I'm making for work tomorrow.  The asparagus will come with me to work tonight.  I might make some more to go with the wrap.

Any recipe ideas you'd like to share?  I'm always looking (especially for gluten free recipes!).

-----

Next up I'll have a post on the Paris trip I took in 2008.  I just realized I never shared the details of it.  I was smart enough to document everything I did (through emails home) so I may make it into a multi-post.  We'll see how it goes. 

Until then, have a great Friday and a great weekend!

2 comments:

  1. Same here. Barbecue-ing is my favourite thing in the summer. Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Becca!

    I've been enjoying your blog (Switching to Swiss) quite a bit!

    Hey, I've been creating a page over at www.expatsinswitzerland.com to compile useful info for people moving here. There's also a forum.

    Would you mind linking to my site from your blog? It would help the site get jump started.

    Have a great day!

    Kind regards,

    Simon

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to know what you think. Leave a line or two, or just a hello. And thanks for dropping by!