Thursday, April 21, 2011

Tally the Cost

Despite my constant excitement for my upcoming adventure, the monetary issue has started to move slowly from the back to the front of my mind.  Thankfully I have a birthday coming up, which should alleviate some of the cash flow stress, but it sure is going to be tight for the next few months.  To give you an idea, this is what I'm looking at:

Income:

  • roughly $1000 bi-weekly
  • a $1500 cheque from the Canadian government coming soon!
  • an undisclosed gift from the family (crossing fingers for a plane ticket!)

Expenses:
  • Car insurance $286.28/mth until August, when it should go down to roughly $70/mth since it will be parked for a year.
  • Car payments $233.60/mth - this will continue while I'm in Switzerland, so I'll need to ensure I have enough money in the bank to cover it.
  • Manual transmission driving lessons $349
  • Plane ticket to Geneva $720
  • Return ticket for January-July - unknown at the moment, but roughly $1500
  • Gas!! It is roughly $1.35 a litre here, which in my tiny Civic is just over $50 a tank.
  • Replacement Birth Certificate (I'm still hitting my head against my wall about this one) $80 - My mum claims they got 3 copies of the certificate when I was born, which means there should be another two copies.  Do we know where they are? Nope, not a clue.  
  • International Driver's License $15 (Yay! Cheap!)
  • Medical Insurance $580.74 for August until December.
  • ISIC card - Free!  Finally, something that's free.
I'm going to continue to build this list, especially once my credit card bill comes in (eek!).  Now unless I can send myself to Geneva for free in someone's luggage, looks like I'm not going to be having many nights out until I leave.  Save for the 19th, I will officially be a hermit.  

Anyone have any cost saving ideas?  Any discounts I can take advantage of?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to know what you think. Leave a line or two, or just a hello. And thanks for dropping by!