Saturday, April 9, 2011

A New Adventure - UPDATED - AGAIN!

Today marks a new today.  I have officially booked my flight to Geneva!  But I guess some background information is in order.

A few weeks ago, my uncle let me know about an opportunity to spend a year in Geneva au pairing for a family of five.  The mother is actually a friend of my uncle's, and moved to Switzerland roughly twenty years ago.  She has hosted au pairs from Canada for 18 years (I will be the 19th) for her three children.  Since one is already off to University, I will be responsible for their 9 year old and 17 year old sons.   Earlier this week I accepted the position for the year, starting in August.

I'm planning on using this blog to document my travels in Europe for friends and family back home, and also to look back to once my adventure is over.  It's also a great way to keep track of all the things I need to do before I leave (see below), create a list of goals for while I'm there, and hopefully get some feedback from other people about what to see/do while I'm there.

Until I leave, I'll be venting my frustrations over pre-travel planning as I go through the following items on my list:

TO DO:

  • Buy plane ticket
  • Apply for a visa
  • Take manual transmission driving lessons
  • Apply for an international driver's license - Don't need to :)
  • Put OHIP card on extension for while I'm gone 
  • Put car insurance on hold
  • Put cell phone plan on hold
  • Find coverage for work shifts - Not finalized, but found some people that have offered
  • Have enough money in back account to make car payments while gone
  • Figure out what I need to bring!!!!!
  • Get a new copy of my birth certificate (seems to have disappeared...)
  • Make copies of all ID
  • Re-certify my Standard First Aid
  • Re-certify my NLS
  • Re-certify my Lifesaving Swim Instructor awards
  • Brush up on my French - I've been working on this while at work.  Anyone willing to practice with me?
  • Find good gluten free recipes 
I'm sure this list will continue to grow as a thing of more things I need to do, but hopefully I get through it all before I leave.

As well, I'm always looking for suggestions of places to travel, things to bring, and general travel advice, so please do not hesitate to comment and help a girl out!

T-minus 4 months!

4 comments:

  1. Hi there.. came to your blog through expat blogs and read that you will be moving to Geneva soon as an au pair.. Exciting times lie ahead for you! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to see you found me! I'm very excited to go. How long have you been in Geneva? Any recommendations for things to do/see?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've only been here for about 3 weeks so still very much in exploratory stage.. hehe..

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was just reading through your blog. What made you pack up and move to Geneva? I'm sure it'll get a lot easier soon (my fingers crossed since I will be in the same situation in three months). We'll have to meet up when I get there so you can fill me in on all the little gems of Geneva.

    PS, your blog reminds me of Cupcakes and Cashmere. I love it!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to know what you think. Leave a line or two, or just a hello. And thanks for dropping by!