Friday, April 22, 2011

The Canadian Federal Election

Despite the fact that this blog focuses on me leaving Canada for the next year, it does not mean that I don't have an invested interest in the upcoming election.  What happens to my government matters to me no matter where in the world I am.  There is no distance that I could put between myself and my home that would sever my connection.  Therefore, I am going to take out some time from daydreaming and stressing about my trip to discuss the current political situation.

Canada currently has a minority Conservative government, led by Stephen Harper. This government can boast a $1 billion budget for a G8/G20 convention (with a fake lake thrown in), the shutdown of Parliament, and a vote of non-confidence.  Harper has stated that he will cut our health care to reduce the deficit and to put it simply, is America's lapdog.  He has distanced himself from the ordinary people, and as much as they promote tax cuts (which my bank account would love right now), I cannot support a candidate that is not there for the best of his country, but for the best of his C.V.  Not the best credentials for a Prime Minister seeking re-election. 

But if you take a look at the opposition, you get a better idea of why the Conservative party is leading in the polls.  Michael Ignatieff leads the Liberal party, and is currently the Leader of the Opposition.  Take a quick moment to Google Michael (or "Iggy" for short), and you begin to see why he has not garnered the support of the people.  He left his home soil to work at Harvard and promote a whole library of books he has written.  Now, I am not one to hate on someone leaving the country to work.  I'll give him a pass on that, but that is not the only issue that Iggy comes with.  He has stated his support for the extension of Canada's Afghanistan mission, and he spends his election money taking hits at the Tories' expense rather than focusing on his platform.  But I have to give him props for allowing people to ask him unscripted questions.  That is not to say that he will necessarily answer the question, but the point is that he allows the questions. Harper, on the other hand, has been known to screen his questions, and has even bounced a young woman from a rally once he discovered pictures of her with other political leaders on her Facebook.  Seriously?!

The New Democratic party's leader, Jack Layton, is the underdog.  Originally set as the fourth place party, after the Bloc Quebecois, he has recently surged in Quebec as a result of his debate performance and his campaigning.  He recently had hip surgery and is fighting prostate cancer, which had been seen as a hindrance to his campaign.  However, he has spun it to make his cane an actual symbol of his strength.  Layton has been pushing for greater votership, especially with the youth.  He has become the people's man by running his campaign on the streets and actually speaking with the people.  In a recent interview with Peter Mansbridge on The National, he was the only candidate to actually bring Mansbridge with him on his campaign trail, and show his interaction with ordinary Canadians. 

Now, as you read this, I am sure you can see my obvious bias.  I am a Liberal, but I have trouble seeing any potential in Michael Ignatieff and am very hesitant to vote for him.  Jack Layton, on the other hand, has proven himself (in my eyes) as a candidate that is there for the people and is willing to protect the services we currently have.  I am aware that this will be quite difficult to pay for, which makes Layton's claims difficult to see come into fruition.  I have also left out Gilles Duceppe of the Bloc Quebecois (since only the Quebecois have any in their ridings) and Elizabeth May of the Green Party since neither are on my radar, despite some good platforms.  And that leaves Harper, a man that has hid as much of his 'reign' from the public as possible.  He has spent taxpayer's money on useless programs, such as $20 million on a fake lake when Canada has how many lakes???  As well, he is putting health care on the chopping block, the one thing as a Canadian that I absolutely refuse to let go.  We've seen Americans come across the border in desperation after they have gone into bankruptcy after falling ill.  This terrifies me, and I refuse to be in this position.  Ever.

So who will I vote for?  At the moment, I have no idea.  The election is in little over a week, and I sure hope that one of the leaders step into the spotlight and prove themselves to be Prime Minister material.  

So fellow Canadians, how about you?  What is your stance on the Federal Election?  And friends from afar, since I see I have some visitors from the US and the UK, do you have any opinions on the Canadian political climate?

1 comment:

I'd love to know what you think. Leave a line or two, or just a hello. And thanks for dropping by!