Sunday, October 9, 2011

Giving Thanks

I have a lot to be thankful for this Thanksgiving.  My year has just gotten better as time has progressed and I honestly cannot even believe I am where I am.

So this Thanksgiving, I'd like to let you all know who I am thankful for:

  1. I am thankful for my family.  If anyone knows me, it's my family.  And if anyone has supported me through the thick and thin, once again, that would be my family.  It's not easy to just pick up and move across the globe, but my parents have done everything within their means to make it that much easier.  For example, this week, my favourite bronzer crumbled into little pieces.  After tirelessly searching Migros, Coop, etc. for it, I gave up.  But then my mum pulled through.  She bought two for me from Shopper's and is sending them to me with P when he is in Canada at the end of the month!  It's the little things.  Thanks fam!
  2. I am thankful for my host family.  I've heard and read the horror stories when it comes to host families.  Luckily, I can't say anything bad about mine.  Instead, you get to hear me gush!  The second I arrived in Geneva, I was greeted with hugs and from then on it has been nothing but love. When I came down with a cold this week, Dr. P (seriously, he is a doctor) was quick to 'prescribe' me with a multitude of options to alleviate the symptoms.  As well, I have yet to feel unappreciated.  The family is quick to recognize extra effort and thank me for everything, from cleaning the sheets to making a minestrone that tastes good.  I appreciate their love and support so much, and it has made my time in Geneva feel like nothing less than home.  Thank you famille M!
  3. I am thankful for my friends back home.  It isn't easy to keep in contact with someone who is on another continent and no longer sharing experiences with you.  But my friends have proved that it's possible.  As much as I feel that I am missing so much, at the same time I know that everyone is there waiting for me to come home and will greet me with open arms.  I do miss seeing them, but thanks to Skype and Facebook, it's almost like I'm there.  So thank you, mes amis!  
  4. I am thankful for my friends in Geneva.  What would I do without you?  Especially Lu and Lo who have been with me from the start (almost), and are always there for me.  We've had some ridiculous adventures and it's only been two months.  I can't wait to see what sort of shenanigans (yes, I used shenanigans) we get into for the next 8 months!  And thank you, mes amies!
  5. I am thankful for my extended family.  I literally would not be here and my car safely parked in a garage if it wasn't for all of you.  You all went above and beyond the duties of family, and I cannot thank you all enough.  The best I can do is bring home a suitcase stuffed with chocolate. And I have been sampling some for you guys (that's my excuse).  I definitely have some goodies coming!  Thank you!
  6. I am thankful for the internet.  Without it, I would be completely cut off from Canada and everyone I love.  So thank you Tim Berners-Lee!
There are many more I am thankful for, and I hope that I have proven to you that I am.  

There are also some things that I am thankful for:
  1. I am thankful that I have a roof over my head, a bed to sleep in, and a warm shower to take in the morning.  I wish everyone could say the same.
  2. I am thankful that I have food to eat.  And not just boring everyday food.  I am thankful that I have access to food from across the planet, and have an abundance of foods from different cultures.
  3. I am thankful that I live in (and am from) a country not stricken by war, famine, or civil unrest.  
  4. I am thankful that I have had the opportunity to be educated and continue my education abroad.  
  5. I am thankful that the van no longer stalls after every red light because I've remembered to breathe while driving.
  6. I am thankful that I am having such a wonderful experience here in Switzerland, that I get to see all my family and friends again at Christmas, and that I get to return to this spectacular country again in January.
  7. I am thankful that my total views has now surpassed 5000.  Thanks to all the readers!  
There is so much more I am thankful for, but I feel like you all don't need to read a novel.  I just want to thank each and every one of you that have helped me to be where I am.  Thank you.

This Thanksgiving, what are you thankful for?


Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to know what you think. Leave a line or two, or just a hello. And thanks for dropping by!