Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Costuming - Part 1

When I arrived here in August, one of the first things I learned was that I would be in charge of E's Escalade costume.  At first I thought, no big deal.  What could he possibly want to be that would challenge my skills?  Silly me.  I should have known.  When I did ask E what he wanted to be, he managed to make my jaw hit the floor.  His answer?

A vending machine.

So once I wrapped my head around the fact that his costume wasn't going to be some creative make-up and a cape, I started thinking.  What materials could I easily get my hands on to make this? 


Luckily, N gave me an unlimited budget, so I let my imagination run wild.  I then found most of the materials in the family's garage and set to work.  Here's stage one of the creation:

The materials.  The metallic sheets are insulated grocery bags that LeShop.ch uses to deliver groceries.  

 I cut a hole for E's head and arms, then opened up the back to make it easier for him to take off.

We've got candy 




Lots and lots



And lots




Of candy



 First I measured where I wanted to have the candy section of the vending machine.  Measure twice, cut once!


 Cross your fingers my measurements were right!

So far so good!


 The opening.  Soon to have a plastic sheet cover.



The two pieces



And they need to be put together.  But that's for next time.  I'll leave you guessing until then.


So come back soon to see if I can really pull off making a vending machine costume.  E's not so sure I can pull it off.  I showed him a website of some amazing vending machine costumes made by over-acheiving parents.  He took one look at them, then said to me, "If you can make the costume like that or better, you get a raise!"

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to know what you think. Leave a line or two, or just a hello. And thanks for dropping by!