Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Rendered Speechless

Today was like any other day.  I got E packed up to go to his football match after lunch and set off for the pitch.

On a side note, I can happily say that I no longer need to force myself to breathe when I get behind the wheel.  I'm feeling much more confident driving standard and more knowledgeable of the area surrounding me.

Back to the story.  So on our way to the game, E brought up a discussion topic I was totally unprepared for.

E: "How do you think you'd want to die?"

B: Silence.  (What do you say to that?)

E: "I want it to be painless."  (Okay, I agree with that...)

B: "I think I want it to be in my sleep.  That way there's no pain."

E: "Same here.  I also don't want to have a heart attack when I'm young.  And it's not because of the pain I'll have.  It's the pain all the people I'm leaving behind will feel."

B: Silence.  Again. "E, that is so..."

E: "But I think when I'm like 90, everyone will still be sad, but ready."

B: "I completely agree, E."

E: "They're making this drug that can make you live even longer than you're supposed to."

B: "Oh really?  What do you think about that?"

E: "It's cool, but I wouldn't want it."

B: "Why not?"

E: "I think we're alive for as long as we need to be.  I don't want to live longer than that."

B: "That's very true."

E: "I just wish I could see what happens after I die."

B: "Like look down from Heaven and watch everyone go on with their lives?"

E: "Exactly.  And the clouds will be trampolines that you can watch from."

B: "What do you think heaven's like?"

E: "I think it's like a dream.  But you actually get to choose what happens."

B: "I like the sound of that.  How old do you think your Heaven age will be?  Do you think it'll be the age you die at, or one you choose?"

E: "I think you get to choose."

B: "And how old would you be?  9 years old like now?  Or a bit older?  Or a bit younger?"

E: "A bit younger.  I think 4.  Right when your memory starts working and you can talk.  I think I'd be 4."

Then we arrive at the football pitch.

Not the conversation I expected to have on a Wednesday afternoon on the way to a game, but definitely an enlightening one.  I can't believe this incredible boy has such a perceptive view of the world and can verbalize it like he can.  Is it strange to say that I am inspired by a nine year old?  Well I hope not, because I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to know what you think. Leave a line or two, or just a hello. And thanks for dropping by!