Thursday, September 29, 2011

Allez Servette!

My host family graciously offered me two tickets to go see the Geneva Servettes (ice) hockey team play Tuesday night.  The Servettes had been losing for a while, so they hoped my attending would change up their luck.  My friend Lu was able to join me, so we made a night of it.

I've been to my fair share of hockey games, so I thought I knew what to expect.  I was wrong.

Swiss hockey is so much better!

The crowds at the game need to be separated by their team loyalties.  The reason?  If the players start to fight, so will the crowds.  There is a constant cheering section for the home team behind the net.  And when I say constant, I mean constant.  They have a cheer leader with a mic and a man on drums to keep the beat.  Then the cheers continue the entire game.  I was impressed.  No need for an organ.
Other differences?

  1. An eagle drops the puck.  Yup.  You read that right.
  2. There's no break for television ads.  
  3. The arena is not as big as an NHL arena, so you can actually see the game from where ever you are sitting.  
  4. Apparently the ice is also a bit wider and longer than NHL regulation ice.  It seemed a bit bigger to me, but the ice to seating ratio was also a lot different than back home, so I can't be sure.
  5. Sumo wrestling takes place in between periods.  
In the end, it turns out I'm a good luck charm.  The Servettes came back with a 3-1 win, all goals scored in the final period.  It was an amazing game and I can't wait to go again!

Thanks N and P!!!




The fan club section




I got a beer (on the left) because I'm a Canadian and this is a hockey game.  Lu got a wine.  Note the difference in size.  She was not impressed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to know what you think. Leave a line or two, or just a hello. And thanks for dropping by!