Thursday, November 10, 2011

What I Miss About Canada

It's wild to think that in less than two months I will be back on Canadian soil.  What's even wilder is that when I start to think about it, I begin to miss Switzerland.  Something must be wrong with me, right?

Well, despite my Swiss addiction, there are many aspects of my Canadian life that I miss here.  I've made do without them, but I do wish they were here.

1.  24 hour supermarkets: In Geneva, businesses don't believe in being open past 7pm and it's a sacrilege to work on a Sunday.  I really do miss the capitalist mindset of Canadians when my friends and I wake up on a Sunday to realize there is nothing to eat for breakfast.  Now there's always gas stations and tabacs, but the prices are inflated (even more than normal) and there's rarely a good selection.  So let's be honest.  What I really miss is:

2.  Shopper's Drug Mart: For all my Canadian readers, you understand my love for all things Shopper's.

3.  The Canadian Dollar: I do like Swiss Francs.  They're even more colourful than Canadian dollars, and even better, they're worth more.  So why do I miss the Canadian currency?  Canadian prices.  For example, I was reading this article on BlogTo.com about street meat prices.  Vendors in Toronto are taking advantage of the "gourmet" market and there is now a deluxe hot dog being sold in the club district for $9.  Before you start shouting, "Switzerland has affected your brain!  That's too expensive for a hot dog!", let me put this in context.  Normally, in Toronto, street meat would cost you between $2-3, plus another dollar for a drink.  In Swiss Francs, that would be roughly 1,80-2,60chf.  The gourmet version would run you roughly 8chf.  Now for those who know the city, where in Geneva could you find a place that's open in the middle of the night with prices like that?  McDo's couldn't even compete.

4.  Yoga Pants: Everyone here wears suits.  If it's not a suit, it's some other incredibly stylish, makes you look like a model, pulled off a manikin, expensive outfit.  Now I know that yoga pants are the easiest way out of choosing what to wear, but now I wouldn't be caught dead leaving the house in them.  Plus they instantly get covered in dog hair the second I finish washing them.  Not a good look.

5.  Shopping Trips into the States: Now I know I have my own "US" in France, and I do take advantage of it, but as all my Torontonians and fellow Southern Ontarians know, there's nothing like Buffalo, NY.

6.  Tim Hortons: I know you're surprised this wasn't my first item on the list.  Starbucks just isn't cutting it.  The cheapest option will run you about 8chf.  I could get a gourmet hot dog for that!  Plus like every other self-respecting Canadian, I use Tim's as a place to meet my friends and catch up over a coffee while nibbling on some Timbits.

7.  Winner's, Marshall's, etc: Or quite simply: cheap, fairly good quality clothing.  What's with the Swiss and charging 50chf for a simple cotton shirt that will either tear, shrink, or loose it's shape?

Now there were some things I thought I would be missing terribly while abroad, but I've surprised myself.  Here are some of those not so necessary necessities:

1. My Car: sometimes I wish I had an automatic car, like when I'm in stop-and-go traffic on a hill, but to be honest, the transit system here is great, and manual is not so bad.  I've been spoiled this week with an automatic car.  I made myself laugh when I went to depress the clutch to start the car.  Duh!  But other than driving E around or to get groceries, it's too much of a hassle to drive.  Good luck finding parking for a van that isn't parallel and is inexpensive.  I'll stick to the tram, thank you very much!

2.  English:  I was under the assumption that the second I got off the plane I was bidding adieu to my native language.  How wrong I was!  English might as well be one of the official languages.  Everywhere I go I hear conversations in English.  I'm attributing this to the fact that Geneva is a very multicultural city, and English is, safe to say, the universal language.  But E made a great point the other day: English is too prominent in French culture.  In particular, in advertising.  I still giggle every time I hear "La radio Plus! Hit music station", with a thick French accent and everything.  Why does that need to be in English in a French speaking country? E absolutely despises it and comments on it every time.  I couldn't agree with him more.

And now as I try to continue this list, I actually can't think of another thing I thought that I'd miss.  I know I had a list a mile long before I left, but that's all gone now.  Amazing how fast that happens, eh?

Now I did not include all the people in Canada that I miss.  I figure it's fairly obvious that I miss them terribly.  After a few days of no internet, I realized how much I rely on Skype, Blogger, and Facebook to keep in touch with everyone.  I couldn't imagine being here without it.  Thanks to everyone who sends me messages to check in, or Skype every once in a while.  I appreciate it, I miss you, and can't wait to see you all at Christmas!

2 comments:

  1. Ditto, ditto, ditto, ditto... When I went home in Sept., I just loved it all up! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Tim Hortons. My Canadian friends basically dragged me there after my arrival in London. From the bus right into the cafe... and it was sooooo good! :-)

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to know what you think. Leave a line or two, or just a hello. And thanks for dropping by!